Translate

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Change Over Time

1. Artists create original art.
During the planning of this project, I had to think creatively! Change over time as a project has a lot of potential for different ideas. Two of my biggest ideas were a person growing older and tea diluting into water. I decided to stick with the water idea because of all the different options there were to put the tea and water in. Some of my original ideas were to line up ten of the same glasses and put teabags in them and each day add water. That got very complicated and because of all the snow days, so I needed something I could just put on a shelf and wait. Eventually the time came, I put a raspberry teabag into a maple syrup jar and took some pictures. On the next day (Friday) it snowed. Convenient! So my bottle hung out for the weekend and grew some fuzzy looking mold and was totally nasty when I came in on Monday. Taking advantage of the situation Mr. Sands said I could just use it for more texture and lighting, which was a great idea.
The source of inspiration I used was a project Mr. Sands told us about, which involved melting ice and small objects that would melt over time and fall through a structure which would make cool sounds. I turned to the other end of the spectrum and thought of how warm water’s particles are moving faster which would cause the tea to dilute faster. Applying that to my project I used Luke-warm water that would cause my tea to just delude at a solid pace so I could take plenty of pictures and do some sketches!    

2.  Artists develop art making skills.
Mr. Sands taught me some new techniques like using a white color pencil or crayon since the oil would repel the water. I got too impatient and never tested them out, which I then had to watch out for my light marks, because I forgot where my lighting marks were and covered them up with paint! Or on the other hand when I drew them in pencil and my art had a more elementary look to it, so I should have used the color pencil!! I also learned a lot from all the water color practice I received!






3. Artists reflect.
- analyze work and process
When did you step back and analyze you work during this project?
At the end and during my project I analyzed it. A few questions rolling through my mind were,
1.      How can I make this project more successful
2.      How do I improve my water color skills?
The answer to both of those questions was more practice!! Every time I did another jar painting I increased my skill and accuracy with dimensions, lighting and shapes. It was very exciting to be able to stand back and look at my entire project which took multiple weeks to complete!

1 comment:

  1. This was a cool project. Makes me think should develop a "series" type project for next year. Great work!

    ReplyDelete